Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Don't Hang Up!

You know how you have a friend that you think about all the time.  You plan to call or email them everyday but for some reason you don't.  And then inertia sets in and so much time passes since you've contacted them that you're kinda embarrassed to even call?  

Um, yeah.  Hi!  It's me!  I have a really good reason for not checking in sooner but you'll just have to take my word for it. I'm better. I'm fine.  And no, for those of you speculating, I was not forcibly institutionalized, but thanks for your confidence.

Now that THAT awkwardness is out of the way: This is my 200th post.  So in honor of that nearly missed occasion and the upcoming release of Mixed Mania here's the deal:

Leave a comment to:
  1. Tell me you didn't notice I was missing
  2. Enter a random drawing to win an autographed copy of our book
  3. Prove that I still have readership (besides you, Dad, and no you can't win the drawing)
While alienating and ignoring all of my old friends, I made a new one. You know, just in case you all moved on without me.  Heather wasn't my friend until she reviewed our book, but that's not why I like her.  I like her because she gave us a good review. You can hear all about it as well as listen to Heather's other engaging podcasts here.  

Under the "close encounters with great artists" heading, I barged into Dan Essig's studio in Asheville on Sunday, forcing him to meet me. I had to.  Debbi has been talking about Dan and his influence on her own bookbinding since I've known her. He was busy and as I told Debbi, I was polite and brief and subdued and generally unlike my usual self so as not to embarrass her. 

The shop at Grovewood Gallery has a couple of Dan's exquisite books that they generously let us handle and admire.  These books are beautiful, like ancient reliquaries. The one Mark is holding in the picture below is a dosey-doe.



Finally, the boys turned 13 yesterday.  An unplanned part of the weekend-long celebration was their buddy John breaking his arm at the skating rink --  three hours away from his parents.  The radiologist said that they called this particular fracture of both the ulna and radius the "dinner fork."  Wanna know why?



So that's about it.  Three months away and that's the best I can do.  Oh, and I'm on FaceBook now for those of you who partake.  

20 comments:

ConnieC said...

That arm gave me the shivers. I missed you and your dental-ly challenged creatures. Then I searched your blog and see it's be a while since you posted those. Man does time fly. I can forgive you for not posting.

Unknown said...

Glad to know you have come up for air and are rejoining us in blogland. We have missed you.

xoxo,
judy

Tautchia said...

Ouch!!! The poor little thing! Hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

As for your absense in the blogosphere.... Just know that you aren't the only one. I just posted for the first time since last March. Yup, I fell off the face of the earth and had to wait for gravity to pull me back on. Anyhoo... glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

Great to have you back posting. I enjoy your blog and all the cool art.

Anonymous said...

I knew a Cheryl once. She dated my cousin.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, checked here endlessly, every day, FOREVER. (tee hee hee) Wondering if this person really exists. Then I went to Amazon for the book and they would say "we'll send it as soon as we get it" (they said that 3 times), and then I thought for sure I'd just dreamed about you !! HA!

Finally I called my local bookstore and they had your book in my hands nearly overnight ! So now I'm waaaayyyy happy. Except that now my daughter-in-law wants my copy of your book. Don't know if I'm willing to part with it. That will take some thinking.

Well, anyway, glad you are real. Glad you are back (time flies). Sorry about the kids, they have a way of breaking bones, don't they?????

I'll keep showing up ~ I'm like that.

Anonymous said...

Uggh, are you back already.

Regards,

ZOLTAR!

Andrea said...

That is scary...the arm not your return. I did miss reading your posts so I was happy to see your blog pop up in my reader today. Welcome back!

CraftyHope said...

Glad you're back-n-stuff.
I hope all is well.

Sandy said...

Glad to see you back. That's the great thing about a blog. Like an old friend, it patiently waits for your visit.

Crystal said...

Cherly...
I'm glad to know you are ok... Loved seeing your smiling face in Studio magazine. Hope to see you at Random Arts again.

Crystal

Carol Sloan said...

ha...didn't even notice that you were gone...imagine that.

Carol Sloan said...

forgot to mention that I TOTALLY love that xray stuff! I say if you're gonna break something, you might as well break it good!

AnnaVallance said...

Happy to have you back.

REACHnews said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Silver Dill said...

Cheryl,
I noticed you were missing... which is why I haven't commented until today (guess I just kinda quit checking in as often as usual...). Can't wait for your book, and even if I don't win your drawing, I'll still buy a copy! Welcome back to blogging land.

Susan Silver Dill

Anonymous said...

Well. Thank Goodness. You scared me. I thought you had really taken the dirt nap or something. But, enough about you. Your fellow artist from SC just wanted to check in to say hello and to mention that it might be nice to mention that he is also in Cate's book among other Interweave pubs. I know, "get your own blog, bub." But, if you want jpegs, just e-me. Anywho, know that I am thinking of you and hope to hear more from you soon.

Anonymous said...

Look whose back...err who never left -- I obviously did NOT notice you were missing. At any rate -- it's wonderful to see you once again, and I'm thrilled for the release of your book! Which of course, you should make sure I win... i'd suggest rigging it :-p

Thanks for the giggle!

e.beck.artist said...

i was reading along happily, openly, pleasantly ... til you STUNNED me with the dinner fork .... EW! .... i did not need to know that or see it! blech ..... quick, go do some art to post ... no more xrays ... please!

random notes said...

You should come to my friend Savannah's house/estate some day here near Saluda and she will show off her entire collection of Dan's books. She is one heck of a groupie. We will make an appt to see them and I will tell her to open her library for our viewing. Wine anyone? Afternoon tea on the veranda?
Jane