Saturday, June 21, 2008

On the Menu: Intaglio with Akua

No, Itaglio is not a fancy noodle and Akua is not some exotic fish, but if you are interested in trying your hand at printmaking (and who isn't, I mean that's what Mixed Media is about, right? We do it because we have short attentions spans and like new new new!) Here's the recipe for setting up your own little print shop at home.

First you'll need a press, they're pricey and take up a lot of space, but a pasta machine is an inexpensive way to dip your toe in the ink. You can print acrylic drypoint etchings and lino cuts about the size of an ATC very easily on a cheapie-Charlie noodle maker.

Now you need ink, right? Oil based is the standard among printmakers. But Cher, you say, I'm lazy and messy and afraid of solvents. Me too, but check it, baby:

Last week, I was having so much fun mixing colors and printing at Arrowmont, it made me want to experiment with printmaking at home. "Why can't someone make a water based ink?" I lamented aloud. (Shocking, as usually I don't say what's on my mind.)

"Someone does." said Diane Fine, my printmaking instructor. She told me about Akua water based inks, but they sounded too good to be true. I had to try them as soon as I got home. I googled Akua and Susan, of Rostow and Jung fame, hooked me up! Thanks, Susan! I received my box of goodies and got to carvin lino.


The colors are deep and gorgeous, clean up is a breeze, and best of all, they are virtually odorless which is great news if you get headaches from prolonged exposure to solvent based inks (Debbi). The inks are so smooth and rich. You can't believe they aren't oil based until you go to wash up.

You can buy Akua here.

I printed this bird in two colors, Red Oxide and the Phthalo Blue. And if mine look this good, imagine what a really great carving would look like. Now go order some Akua and get cooking!



ps Here's my weekly art. A Blue Beazle Bunny. Who cares, I'd rather be printing. : )


3 comments:

Unknown said...

the ol polymer clay pasta machine has another purpose? great tip girl!

random notes said...

I think that I am going to buy this paint and try this Cheryl. Your birds are awesome. just love that wood carve look. Looks like that class at arrowmont was top notch.
Jane

Anonymous said...

I really liked your prints. I watched the video and I think I prefer the pasta machines to the steam roller. Mom