Monday, April 16, 2007

Leslie's Surprise

So now that the cat's out of the bag, I can tell you the original reason I was in Chicago: for my dear friend Leslie's surprise [40th!] birthday party. Her husband Geoffrey called us a couple of months ago and asked if we could come. Thanks to Delta Miles, Hilton Honors points and Grandma, we were able to be there. I saw people I hadn't seen in a bajillion years.

Leslie's late parents were the subject of this tile back in January, and became the centerpiece of Leslie's present.

The "M" is for Marra, their surname, and is mounted on an antique door hinge. The "D" is for David and "S" is for Sharon, whom I knew well and miss dearly.
I added weathered erector set pieces embellished with copper brads to the sides of the canvas.
Happy Birthday, Leslie.
If you guys don't come to Atlanta to visit WITH the kids, you're in BIG trouble. Geoffrey promised me. I have it in writing.

5 comments:

Deb Silva said...

it's gorgeous!! my birthday is march 14, pencil it in~lol
oxoo

Brogato Family said...

I'm way past my 40th but looking forward to what you may do for me for my 50TH!!! lol .. Your work is beautiful and so are you.....I love all your creative ideas.

JennaLouiseCreates said...

Cheryl,
It was a thrill to meet you in Chicago. I LOVE all of your work and it has inspired me so much. Although I did not get into your class, I was so grateful you signed my magazine! I'm silly like that! Thanks for sharing your lovely work! Jennifer

Cheryl Prater said...

Jennifer:

I was so sorry you didn't get into the class! I saw you standing outside the MIU studio and I was like, Darn it!

Thanks for your kind words, I am so flattered. Now, don't let me find that autographed copy of CPS on Ebay! : )

Email me some pictures of your work, I'd love to see it. YOU made MY Quilt show!

xox cher

random notes said...

YOU are a teacher and at that big event - look at you! I really missed a great time and the fact that you connected with your friend from long ago. Awesome. Love the project Cheryl,Can you teach that at Random arts in Saluda? love it love it.The pictures of the show, the class your friend tell the story. Thanks,
Jane